From WNUR Sports, we learned that Pat Fitzgerald has announced this week's injury list for the Cal game--
#Northwestern injury report for Saturday: WR Kyle Prater, OT Eric Olson and WR Mike McHugh all ruled out.— WNUR Sports (@WNURSports) August 29, 2013
No details yet as to what exactly the injuries are.
Real bummer about Prater, who can't seem to shake the injury bug. He's been somewhat of a mystery to date-- highly touted as a high school recruit when he committed to USC, then much-hyped when he transferred to NU last year and gained immediate eligibility...but the hype has yet to match his production, as he's been hampered by a series of injuries.
Prater, a junior, was listed as a co-backup to Tony Jones on the two-deep coming into the game, along with Mike McHugh, a redshirt freshmen, who is also apparently injured and out for the game. McHugh was earning some raves in pre-season camp. Fortunately for the Wildcats, wide receiver is an area where they have a lot of depth, so they should be OK.
Redshirt freshman Olson was the back-up right tackle to Paul Jorgensen on the two-deep. The line is a big question mark coming into the season, having to replace three starters. Olson was going to be part of the mix, but won't for at least Week 1. I'd expect Shane Mertz to spell both Jorgensen and Jack Konopka on the left side.
More from Sippin' On Purple:
- Northwestern football 2013: What are your predictions for the Wildcats?
- THURSDAY OF GAME WEEK SIPS, ft. married football players and Lakeside Field
- Northwestern vs. Cal: What to look for as the Wildcats face the Golden Bears
- Northwestern vs. Cal: California Golden Blogs talks hippies and Wildcats-Bears
- Northwestern vs. Cal injury report: Prater, Olson, McHugh out
- Northwestern vs. Cal 2013: 7 reasons for Wildcats fans to hate the Golden Bears