by Kevin Trahan (@k_trahan)
Northwestern has two practices left in Kenosha — today and then a scrimmage Saturday. Inside NU will be on hand for the scrimmage. After Kenosha, NU returns to Evanston for three practices next week. Without further ado, here are your football and basketball links for today.
- Incoming freshman center Chier Ajou was cleared by the NCAA yesterday, meaning he can play this season and will now be allowed to practice with the team — he was forced to sit out of practices this summer. Chris Johnson has a short "what it means" piece from yesterday and will go more in-depth on the subject later today.
- Teddy Greenstein has a good article breaking down who is battling for what position in the jumbled offensive line.
- Chris Emma of PurpleWildcats.com breaks down five things we've learned so far at Northwestern camp. (Subscription required)
- Inside NU is breaking down every incoming freshman with a recruiting capsules series. We're getting closer to the end, so check out our recruiting page for any you've missed so far.
- Northwestern is ranked No. 19 in ESPN's recruiting rankings — one spot ahead of Duke (Subscription required). To be clear, it's still VERY early, and as other teams add more players, they'll likely pass NU, so don't expect the Wildcats to end up in the top 25. However, Bill Carmody and his staff are off to a good start with the commitments of Jaren Sina and Nate Taphorn.
- After getting cut by the Eagles and quickly signed by the Packers, former Northwestern receiver Andrew Brewer had one catch for six yards in yesterday's preseason loss to the Browns.
- According to the Sun-Times, former Northwestern linebacker Nick Roach will be stepping in at Mike linebacker for the Bears with Brian Urlacher out.