Northwestern's depth chart for week on vs. Cal:
QB: Trevor Siemian, Zack Oliver
RB: Treyvon Green, Warren Long
WR: Miles Shuler, Andrew Scanlan
WR: Kyle Prater, Austin Carr
WR: Cameron Dickerson, Pierre Youngblood-Ary
WR: Tony Jones, Mike McHugh
SB: Dan Vitale, Jayme Taylor
LT: Paul Jorgensen, Adam DePietro
LG: Geoff Mogus, Kenton Playko
C: Brandon Vitabile, Brad North
RG: Matt Frazier, Ian Park
RT: Eric Olson OR Jack Konopka
DE: Deonte Gibson, Ifeadi Odenigbo OR Xaiver Washington
DT: CJ Robbins, Chance Carter
DT: Greg Kuhar, Connor Mahoney
DE: Dean Lowry, Max Chapman
SAM: Drew Smith OR Jimmy Hall
MIKE: Collin Ellis, Brett Walsh
WILL: Chi Chi Ariguzo, Anthony Walker
CB: Nick VanHoose, Dwight White
S: Ibraheim Campbell, Godwin Igwebuike
S: Traveon Henry, Kyle Queiro
CB: Matt Harris, Marcus McShepard
K: Jack Mitchell
P: Chris Gradone
LS: Chris Fitzpatrick
H: Christian Salem
KR: Miles Shuler, Mike McHugh
PR: Miles Shuler OR Ibraheim Campbell
- DT Sean McEvilly is out for the year with a foot injury. That's a big loss for a position that was already the biggest question mark on the defense. Greg Kuhar has showed a lot of promise, and maybe McEvilly never got back to his old form. Still, defensive tackle remains an unknown.
- Jack Mitchell is listed as the lone kicker, which means Hunter Niswander must not be ready for action. I wouldn't be surprised to see Niswander (the only scholarship kicker) win the job soon. He was hurt during camp.
- Andrew Scanlan must be doing better than expected. NU didn't expect to have him back from injury until the Penn State game. We haven't seen him at all in camp.
- It's interesting to see Jack Konopka and Eric Olson listed as co-staters. Konopka started last year, but Olson took first team reps all camp.
- With Xavier Washington in the mix as the only true freshman to make the two-deep, will we see the four-defensive end look (Lowry, Gibson, Odenigbo, Washington) again on passing downs? With the Bear Raid up first, there will be plenty of opportunities to use it.
- We'll see a committee at running back, and Solomon Vault and Justin Jackson will play, despite not being listed. The big question mark is Stephen Buckley. How far along is he in coming back from injury?