After an inconsistent showing in a tight win against the Ball State Cardinals at Ryan Field on Saturday, Northwestern opens up conference play tomorrow versus the Minnesota Golden Gophers, who enter the matinee at 3-1 following a close win over the Ohio Bobcats this past weekend.
Here are some last-minute notes and links on the Wildcats' first Big Ten foe:
- The Golden Gophers have suffered a bunch of big injuries in the last few weeks, leaving them without a few key starters. Top cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun (knee) is questionable for Saturday while safety Antonio Johnson (concussion) is apparently going to be able to play. Minnesota's full depth chart is here.
- Furthermore, starting wide receiver Drew Wolitarsky (concussion), cornerback KiAnte Hardin (ankle) and linebacker Cody Poock (ribs) all got injured in Minnesota's win over Ohio but are listed on this week's depth chart, so they should be ready go.
- Speaking of Minnesota's controversial 27-24 win, here's a nice film breakdown of the game from SBNation's Golden Gophers site, The Daily Gopher.
- Also from the Minnesota perspective with the Daily Gopher are the key matchups for this weekend's 11:00 am CST game.
- If you want to watch a preview video of Saturday's meeting, here's a good one from the (Minneapolis) Star Tribune plus a recap podcast of Minnesota-Ohio from the folks at Scout.
- Former Golden Gopher defensive back Shane Vereen, a 2014 draft pick of the Bears and the brother of current NFL running back Shane Vereen, was signed by the Minnesota Vikings yesterday. He'll play in the pros in the same city he spent his college years.