Northwestern takes on Illinois Saturday at Soldier Field (2:30 p.m. CT, ESPNU) in what is the first of three Illini games against Northwestern that have been dubbed the Windy City Series.
The game, at the home of the NFL's Chicago Bears, is an Illinois home game — Illinois decided to sacrifice actual home games in favor of Soldier Field games — meaning the stadium will be adorned with Illini colors, and gameday operations will be in the hands of Illinois.
But it's obviously not a normal home game. In fact, the field hasn't even been repainted, despite the Bears playing away this week:
Here are some logistical notes:
- Soldier Field special event parking lots open four hours prior to kickoff — so at 10:30 a.m. As is usually the case at Soldier Field though, public transportation is probably the best option. Pre-purchased parking costs between $35 and $54.
- Northwestern fans will be in the southwest corner of the stadium. According to the Northwestern Alumni Association, the specific sections are as follows: 113, 114, 115, 117, 144, 146, 314, 315, 316. Seating map below.
- The Northwestern marching band will be in attendance, and will be playing at halftime. The marching band will be located in section 117 (seating map below).
- There are still plenty of tickets available (tickets are not being sold in the 400 level):
- Illinois had been trying to sell tickets for the game on Groupon.
- Illinois will hold its senior day ceremonies prior to the game.
- The Northwestern Alumni Association is holding a tailgate at noon at The Midway (1410 Museum Campus Dr), on the west side mezzanine level, but registration was required, and is now closed.
- The official "Miller Lite Beer Garden" tailgate will be outside the south side of the stadium.