After a week of uncharacteristically warm weather, Big Ten football is back in the air in Evanston as the No. 21 Northwestern Wildcats (6-2, 2-2) get set to host the Penn State Nittany Lions (7-2, 4-1) at Ryan Field.
The Wildcats and Nittany Lions come into Saturday's game fighting for bowl positioning. A win for either team would put it in great position for a New Year's Day bowl, and with Northwestern coming in at No. 21 in Tuesday's College Football Playoff rankings, a New Year's Six bowl might not be out of the question.
Here's a rundown of everything you need to know before kickoff, with broadcast information below.
- Martin Oppegaard looks at three key matchups that will decide Northwestern-Penn State.
- Here are three things to know about the Nittany Lions.
- Henry Bushnell's breakdown of the Big Ten's bowl selection process shows the importance of Saturday's game.
- EVERY WEEK IS HATE WEEK. Especially when James Franklin escapes the claustrophobic bubble that is Happy Valley and comes to town.
- Our staff's predictions for the game.
- Pat Fitzgerald spoke about Penn State, the bye week and more at his weekly press conference on Monday.
- For more on the Penn State perspective, read more about the Nittany Lions here.
- The Wildcats will feature a slick black and white uniform combination.
- Here is Northwestern's official depth chart, though it was released before Harris and Robbins were confirmed as healthy.
- Need entertainment on your commute to the game? Our Pound The Talk preview podcast is the obvious choice.
- Penn State and Northwestern were tied (!) in this week's Big Ten Power Rankings.
- Zach Wingrove examines three reasons why Northwestern will win, and three reasons why the Wildcats will lose.
Note: Northwestern athletic director Jim Phillips will be holding a press conference at 9:30 a.m. CT Saturday morning to discuss the announcement that the university will break ground on its new on-campus football facility next Friday.