Northwestern found out Sunday that it will be facing Tennessee in the Outback Bowl, and like clockwork, Vols fans were quick to tell Northwestern fans and players that they are bad.
Let it begin pic.twitter.com/t6N1gh4z21— Justin Jackson (@J_ManPrime21) December 6, 2015
Here's what I knew about Tennessee heading into this game:
- In all the games I watched them play — all losses, to Alabama, Florida, Arkansas and Oklahoma — they seemed to have some nice players. Josh Dobbs is fine. So is Jalen Hurd.
- Ever since a 13-7 loss to Wyoming in 2008 — a game it also lost — Tennessee has either been bad or mediocre, and definitely irrelevant.
- They weren't good enough for Lane Kiffin.
But luckily, Tennessee fans were there to let us at Inside NU know everything about their team. So here's what I learned from them, based solely on their tweets.
Tennessee plays in the worst Power 5 division in college football
I keep hearing about this "SEC" thing, and when I dug further, I found that Tennessee plays in something called the "SEC East." As it turns out, the SEC East is the worst division in the major conferences, and it's way worse than Northwestern's division, the Big Ten West.
And they still only went 8-4! Man, that's rough.
Rocky Top is trash
I had never heard Rocky Top before today, but people were talking about it on Twitter, so I decided to check it out. I'm a pretty big country/bluegrass/folk fan, which is rare for someone who went to Northwestern, so I figured I might like Rocky Top. NOOOOOOOOOPE. Rocky Top is damn trash. How do you mess up a song with a banjo and a fiddle? How do you ruin Dolly Parton? I don't know! But Tennessee found out how to do it. Good one, Vols.
Tennessee football has more Twitter followers than Northwestern football
This is technically accurate! Also, I had a sandwich for dinner today. And the sky is blue. Oh and Northwestern plays a football game against Tennessee on January 1. How many unrelated facts can we name at once!?
They were SUPER excited about going 6-6
Tennessee went 6-6 last year, and they were so excited about it that a bunch of fans drove to Jacksonville — certifiably the worst city in America — to watch their Vols play.
@k_trahan well UT dominated Iowa in jan and had 45k more fans than they did at the bowl..and iowa is 10 times better than NW— Ricky Dixon (@RickyD224) December 7, 2015
So ... Tennessee is Nebraska?
- Haven't been relevant nationally in a long time? Check.
- From an awful place? Check.
- Insecure about their bad football team so they have to talk about having fans? Check.
I understand now!
THEY JUST KEEP COMING
@k_trahan no to make fun of you..i relish in the tears of lower tiered programs and their fans who think they accomplished something lol— Ricky Dixon (@RickyD224) December 7, 2015
So what have I learned today on Twitter dot com?
- Tennessee has been pretty bad at football in recent years.
- Their fans get REALLY excited about mediocrity.
- They play terrible teams.
- They are, however, good at listing facts.
- Their music is trash.
Thank you to Tennessee fans for teaching me about yourselves. I look forward to learning more soon.
Stage 6. pic.twitter.com/Of0lE9Zz1F— SB✯Nation CFB (@SBNationCFB) October 4, 2015