Northwestern finally broke ground Saturday on its Lakefront Athletics and Recreation Complex, the much-anticipated lakeside facility that will house various NU athletic events and bring football non-gameday activities to campus. Construction of the building and major upgrades to the area as a whole will take place over the next few years.
The university held a ceremony Saturday to commemorate the groundbreaking.
Groundbreaking of the new lakefront practice field. A big thank you to Lanny and Sharon Martin for their generosity. pic.twitter.com/GuxcumE5VS— #B1GCats Football (@NUFBFamily) April 25, 2015
The project includes two major parts. The first will be the construction of the Lakefront Athletics and Recreation Complex, a new building that will include all of the following, according to a release from the University last month.
- Ryan Fieldhouse, a full-size indoor practice facility that can be used during inclement weather that will also hold Dance Marathon
- Portable seating for 1,000 for convocation purposes
- Three basketball courts, a running track and a weight room
- Locker rooms for varsity teams
- Sports medicine facilities
- New synthetic turf for both the soccer/lacrosse and field hockey field
- Improved lighting of the field and surrounding lakefront walking path
- New locker rooms and auxiliary visiting locker rooms