Northwestern football is finally back. The Wildcats welcome No. 21 Stanford to Ryan Field Saturday to open the 2015 season. For both teams, the offseason has been long. Northwestern's 2014 season ended Nov. 29th in disappointment with a 47-33 loss to Illinois, while Stanford finished with a regular season mark of just 7-5, a 'down' year for the Cardinal
Here's what you need to know ahead of kickoff:
Broadcast information below. All game week content can be found here.
- Northwestern redshirt freshman quarterback Clayton Thorson won an offseason-long QB competition, and will start against Stanford.
- Northwestern could keep things conservative with Thorson, even as a former four-star recruit, in his first college game.
- In the end though, it'll be Thorson's play that determines the outcome of the game.
- Injury news: For Northwestern, defensive tackle Greg Kuhar and wide receiver Cam Dickerson are both out.
- We sent one of our writers, Kevin Dukovic, to go spy on Stanford.
- We spoke with SB Nation Stanford site Rule of Tree to get a better sense of the Cardinal.
- Last year, Cal surprised Northwestern in Week 1. We wonder if the Wildcats could do the same to Stanford this year.
- EVERY WEEK IS HATE WEEK. In our new weekly video series, Ben Goren hashes out all the reasons to hate Stanford.
- Saturday's game also matters for recruiting.
- Here is the Wildcats' official depth chart.
- Notes, quotes and video from and of Pat Fitzgerald, Thorson and other NU players on Monday.
- Ian McCafferty and Zach Pereles go back and forth on why Northwestern will or won't win.
- Finally, our predictions for the game.
For the full TV schedule for the first Saturday of the college football season, click here.