The first week after Northwestern's academic year ended was one of the busiest for the athletic programs. Here's your Sunday link dump, which we will be making a regular post going forward.
Northwestern announces renovations to Welsh-Ryan Arena
The week started out with a bang, as about $110 million was pledged to a massive overhaul of Welsh-Ryan Arena.
- Here's the news as it broke, detailing what in specific will be upgraded.
- Ben Goren explained how important the renovations are and what they mean for the men's basketball team in particular.
- Martin Oppegaard discussed positives and negatives of the options for stadiums for the 2017-2018 season.
- Martin and Sam Brief attended the press conference and took notes.
- They also gave us their biggest takeaways.
Northwestern adds four (!!!) recruits to the class of 2017
You can never have too many 'croots.
- Jace James, a local prospect, committed a week ago today.
- A day later, kicker Charlie Kuhbander committed.
- The same day Kuhbander committed, offensive tackle Ethan Wiederkehr did the same.
- On Saturday, the Wildcats added their second wide receiver of the class: Berkeley Holman.
Most Important Player series
- Every writer voted on his Top 10.
- Tristan Jung and Ian McCafferty debated No. 10 Blake Hance.
- Zach Wingrove and Will Ragatz took on No. 9 Austin Carr.
- Zach Pereles and Ben Goren discussed No. 8 Jordan Thompson.
- Game times and TV information for Northwestern's first three games were released.
- Clayton Thorson caught (and released) a shark.
- Seven Wildcats made Athlon Sports' preseason All-B1G teams.
- Danny Rapaport wrote a feature on new volleyball coach Shane Davis.
- We wrapped up our This Is Inside NU series; there were 10 episodes.