The first win of every season is always good to get out of the way and for Northwestern, that proved to be an elusive one. Now, the task gets tougher for the Wildcats with the start of Big Ten play against a Nebraska team that beat Oregon in Lincoln last week.
Led by dual-threat quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr., the Cornhuskers have a dynamic offensive attack with a talented receiving core that has been able to make up for a subpar defense. After opening up their season with easy wins over Fresno State and Wyoming, Nebraska barely edged the Ducks despite allowing 336 rushing yards.
Northwestern’s schedule gets tougher after this game, as the Wildcats play three of their next four games on the road against Iowa, Michigan State and Ohio State (with a home game against Indiana sandwiched in between). So, this game is really important for the Wildcats to get.
- Here’s this week’s depth chart. Matthew Harris and Kyle Quiero — both members of a beleagured Northwestern secondary — aren’t on it and won’t play Saturday due to injury. That will force guys like Trae Williams and Jared McGee back into the starting lineup.
- Pat Fitzgerald, for the first time this season after a win, addressed the media in his usual Monday press conference. Among other things, Fitz challenged the Northwestern media to catch punts at practice.
- Pound The Talk here! We recapped the Duke win and previewed the Nebraska game.
- Clayton Thorson finally threw the ball downfield, successfully. Austin Carr and Solomon Vault both ran down long Thorson throws for big gains.
- What to know about Nebraska, what matchups are notable and why Northwestern might (or might not) win its second straight game.
- Tommy Armstrong is really fast, has a good arm and has been able to limit his turnovers this season. All around, he’s the most versatile player Northwestern has had to gameplan for so far.
- Our writers don’t have much faith in Northwestern taking down the Cornhuskers.
- Finally, some Cornhuskers fans from the Nebraska SB Nation site chimed in on the game.
Game time: 6:30 pm CST
TV channel: Big Ten Network
Online stream: BTN2Go.com
Betting Line: Northwestern +8