Northwestern became the first team to ever win three consecutive overtime games. Clearly, the team was happy with its performance.
- On Nebraska: “We definitely knew we’d have our hands full today.” Fitz said Riley was “a great friend and a great coach.” Riley has been on the hot seat and this loss might’ve sealed the deal. Fitzgerald to showed support right away.
- “I made a mistake at the end of the first half, not taking a time out, and I didn’t want that to be the reason we weren’t successful today.”
- Fitz said he wanted to make sure to win the game in overtime and make the right decision on that fourth down.
- On Thorson: “I saw a man become the all-time winningest quarterback in program history.” Praised his resilience.
Reporter: “Looks like you got this overtime thing figured out!”
Fitz: “I would prefer not to.”
- “I think it was critical [on holding NEB to a field goal] and that Godwin stop.”
- On “character” - “It's getting me overrated though, I'm getting tired of these character building wins.”
- Kyle Queiro chose to be matched up with Spielman.
- On a third overtime win in a row: “We have confidence in tight games. Mick called a really good overtime.”
- “We’re a young football team. We’re playing as many young guys as we’ve ever played. These are the games you’ll understand, as a young player, why we do the extra reps and extra things after the workout.”
- Offensive line: “I think we’re getting better. I think we’re improving. We gotta get rid of the self-inflicted wounds, can’t have penalties (looked we had a couple).” Fitz said Jackson being healthy helped out the O-line
- “Definitely did not have my best stuff in this one. Really proud of how everyone picked me up.”
- “Our O-Line did a really good job. [Jackson] and [Larkin] man, I looked up one time and it was like 270 yards rushing. They did a great job, credit to those guys.
- On his play as the lead blocker for Justin Jackson: “probably could’ve gotten lower, got it in the facemask a bit.”
- Told a Daily reporter “I can always count on you” after he asked about his inconsistency today.
- “Coach Fitz challenged them [the secondary] in practice and they practiced hard.”
- “I definitely think it’s our mentality going in. Just get the guys going and get to play some more football.”
- “Not to be corny, but I thought I still left some plays on the field.”
- “That first one was a simple zone drop and the quarterback threw it to my position and I was able to make a play on it.”
- “Winning six games wasn’t the goal,” Queiro said, when asked about the team’s bowl prospects.