Former quarterback Lloyd Yates will play wide receiver in 2017, the program announced Tuesday morning.
Yates, a redshirt sophomore from Oak Park, Ill., spent the last two seasons practicing with the quarterbacks but did not see the field.
Yates joins Warren Long as players to switch positions this spring. Long will be playing linebacker this season, although Fitz left open the possibility of the redshirt senior returning to running back at some point or even playing both eventually.
The program also confirmed that senior Marcus McShepard will stick to cornerback in 2017. McShepard switched to wide receiver last spring but ended up returning to defensive back during the season due to injuries hampering Northwestern’s depth in the secondary.
- Redshirt junior Dan Kubiuk, who was the scout team quarterback last season, will be practicing with the specialists this season as a punter and holder.
- Running back John Moten IV will miss spring practice after offseason shoulder surgery.
- Sophomore defensive back Jake Murray has retired due to injury problems.
- Cornerback Keith Watkins II will be limited in spring practice as he recovers from the knee injury that sidelined him for all of last season.
- Defensive end Tommy Carnifax will be limited in spring practice.
- Safety Parrker Westphal will miss spring practice after offseason surgery. Westphal’s entire career has been plagued by injuries.
- Receiver Ramaud Chiaokhiao-Bowman will miss spring practice.
- Cornerback Roderick Campbell will miss spring practice.