clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Rapid Reaction: Northwestern suffers tough defeat to Depaul, 83-78

The Boo Buie and Miller Kopp show wasn’t enough for Northwestern to pick up a quality win.


CHICAGO — Northwestern (5-6, 0-2 B1G) took a short trip down to Chicago to put up a strong fight against a talented DePaul (12-1) squad but ultimately came up short as they fell 78-83.

The Wildcats maintained a small lead for the majority of the second half but failed to execute in the final minutes, letting a six point lead slip out of its grasp in the closing four minutes of the game.

Boo Buie was the star of the night in his first career start, pouring in 25 points and dishing out six assists. Miller Kopp added another 21 points and four rebounds for the ‘Cats.

Charlie Moore was the leader for Depaul, as he combined with Jaylen Butz to score 49 as the duo accounted for over half of the Blue Demons’ points.

He opened Northwestern’s account on the day with a pair of threes. A.J. Turner then found a wide open Buie under the basket to put NU up 8-5 at the 16:38 mark. But that would mark the end of the team’s scoring for a while.

A series of turnovers and missed shots followed as Northwestern failed to score a single point for a six minute stretch. DePaul went on a 12-0 run during the period and raced out to a double digit lead.

Buie put an end to NU’s offensive drought as he scored seven straight to put Northwestern right back in the game, down 20-15. The ‘Cats then went on a 10-0 run to take a lead of their own. The freshman guard proceeded to catch fire, as he took control of the game and almost single handedly brought Northwestern in front.

Foul trouble for both Pete Nance and Robbie Beran limited their capabilities in the first half, as both went into the break with three fouls.

Moore and Butz were the catalysts for DePaul, scoring 15 and 13 the first half, respectively. The two accounted for 28 of the Blue Demons’ 34 points. NU took a 38-34 lead into the second half.

The Blue Demons came out firing in the second half, using a 14-4 run to take a six point lead and forcing a timeout from Collins. The ‘Cats came out of the timeout ready to rebut the DePaul run with Buie once again sparking the offense and scoring seven points.

Northwestern retook the lead with a scoring barrage on six points from Kopp and deep balls from Turner and Ryan Young. With six minutes to play, NU led by six and had a real chance to get a win.

The two teams traded buckets and neither was able to gain any real sort of separation. With under four minutes to play, DePaul cut the Wildcats’ lead to three, and within a minute, it took a three point lead of its own. A deep ball from Moore followed by an and-one three-pointer from Jalen Coleman-Lands were the culprits.

DePaul continued to pour it on in the final minutes of the game, utilizing a 15-5 run to firmly place itself in front. But Northwestern continued to battle back, refusing to go down without a fight. Ultimately, it wasn’t enough from Northwestern, and DePaul pulled out the victory.

The ‘Cats will return to Welsh-Ryan on December 29th to take on Hartford.