clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Rapid Reaction: Northwestern falls 79-76 in double overtime to Indiana

That was gross.

NCAA Basketball: Indiana at Northwestern David Banks-USA TODAY Sports

EVANSTON, Illinois — In what was an all-around poor shooting affair, Northwestern (6-11, 3-10 B1G) crumbled against Indiana (11-8, 6-6) 79-76 in double overtime, extending their losing streak to 10 games.

Chase Audige led the way for the Wildcats with 19 points on 7-of-15 shooting. Robbie Beran and Pete Nance followed close behind with 12 points each. Audige was integral on the defensive end, recording two blocks and four steals.

Earlier today, G Ty Berry announced on Twitter that his father had passed away, and G Boo Buie wore Berry’s uniform in his absence today to honor him. Berry did not play after returning home to be with his family.

The Wildcats chose to start the game with both Anthony Gaines and Young in the starting five, seemingly trying for a more defensive lineup. Defense was prevalent throughout today’s game, with the ‘Cats forcing 13 turnovers out of the Hoosiers, converting them into 19 points.

After a slow start for both teams, Northwestern was able to jump out to a nine point lead, as the Wildcats took advantage of an ice-cold Hoosier team. Indiana went the first six minutes of the game without scoring, and the Wildcats opened a lead as big as 14 points.

In addition to Indiana’s slow start from the field, Northwestern capitalized off the Hoosiers struggles from the foul line, with Indiana missing their first six free throws.

Neither team shot particularly well throughout today’s game, due in part to decent defense by both sides as well as the fact that neither team seemed to hit many open shots when given the chance. Through the first 12 minutes of the game, the ‘Cats were 5-for-15 from the field while the Hoosiers were 2-for-12.

Northwestern struggled from the field for the last eight minutes of the half, with Indiana closing their lead to just three points by the end of the first 20 minutes. Trayce Jackson-Davis scored with just three seconds to go to make the score 23-20 heading into the locker room.

The late first half basket seemed to affect the team coming out of halftime, with the Wildcats giving up a quick two baskets and their first lead of the night before regaining their composure.

For the early part of the second half, the Wildcats and Hoosiers traded the lead back and forth before Northwestern was able to take a four point lead. They held that narrow lead for much of the early second half, before they expanded their lead back up to six.

As the game entered the final seven minutes, Northwestern was able to push their lead to seven, hoping to hold onto a much-needed victory to break their nine-game losing streak. In the absence of Berry, Ryan Greer saw expanded minutes and played an important role late game.

The Wildcats held the lead until late, when an Al Durham basket tied the game for the Hoosiers with 24 seconds left in regulation. The ‘Cats were unable to get up a shot before the buzzer, sending the game to overtime, where Nance took over. The junior scored the Wildcats first five points of overtime, before Audige scored the next six points.

It wasn’t over then, however. Durham came up huge for the Hoosiers yet again, hitting the tying bucket with 1.4 seconds to go and sending the game to double overtime.

In double overtime, the Wildcats struggled with foul trouble, losing Miller Kopp and Greer. The teams traded buckets until a missed free throw from Nance gave Indiana the ball up one. A late three from Jerome Hunter extended the Hoosier lead to four, before a clutch Audige three cut the lead back to one with seven seconds left. Indiana extended their lead to three off two made free throws from Durham and closed the game out from there.

The Wildcats will attempt to break their 10-game losing streak when they travel to Piscataway to take on No. 25 Rutgers (11-6, 7-6 B1G) on Saturday.