clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Rapid Reaction: Northwestern annihilates Detroit Mercy 91-59

Contributions from the entire rotation.

NCAA Basketball: Detroit at Northwestern David Banks-USA TODAY Sports

The ‘Cats had no Sunday Scaries after a week layoff.

Northwestern (7-1, 1-0 B1G) demolished Detroit Mercy (0-10, 0-2 Horizon) 91-59. NU led from start to finish in this one, never facing a serious threat. Boo Buie sat the final nine minutes of the blowout.

The Wildcats were led by the unexpected trio of Ty Berry, Ryan Langborg and Nick Martinelli. The trio combined for 57 points and nine assists. Martinelli had a career-high 22 points. Buie, who only had five points, distributed eight assists on the game. Brooks Barnhizer added 13 points and nine rebounds.

The ‘Cats won the opening tip, and Langborg drilled a three to get NU on the board. The squads traded baskets, evening the score at 5-5, until Berry connected from the midrange to give the Wildcats a 7-5 lead at the first media timeout.

A few minutes later, Detroit Mercy cut the lead to 10-16, but a technical foul on the Titans gave Buie two chances at the free throw line, which he split. However, on the ensuing possession, Matt Nicholson found Martinelli on the baseline for an easy layup. A couple of possessions later, Barnhizer finally found the back of the net for a three ball and followed it up with a block on the defensive side. The ball bounced back to the Titans for an easy layup, but Langborg responded with a three of his own to make it 27-17. Martinelli tacked on another three to make it 32-19 at the under-8 timeout.

Out of the timeout, both teams went cold from the field, scoring in just the single digits combined. Northwestern did not hit a field goal for nearly three minutes until Langborg cashed his third triple of the game to make it 37-26 NU with 3:37 left in the first half.

In the remaining minutes of the half, Langborg continued his hot shooting, drilling his fourth three of the half. Martinelli reached double digits with a layup, but the Titans continued to find ways to keep the game close. As the clock struck zero, the ‘Cats held a 43-33 lead at the half.

Out of the locker room, Barnhizer was wide open under the basket for an easy layup, and he found Nicholson for an easy slam on the next possession. Berry rattled off five straight points to turn it into a 9-0 run, giving NU a 52-33 lead with 16 minutes left.

Berry and Langborg connected again from beyond the arc, and Buie made his first field goal of the game to make 60-37. A couple of minutes later, Martinelli finished a three-point play and hit a close-range shot to make it 67-45 halfway through the frame. An and-one from Berry, plus a bucket from Buie and Luke Hunger, made it 74-47 with 8:30 left in the game. The ‘Cats cruised through the rest of the game, with Chris Collins clearing the bench for the back half of the final frame. By the time the buzzer sounded, the 'Cats had won 91-59.

Northwestern returns to the floor on Wednesday night, taking on Chicago State at 7 p.m. CT. at home.