So Northwestern hired themselves a basketball coach last night! Let's take a sweep around the internet and see what people have to say about Chris Collins, huh?
- LTP's post captures the fanbase's excitement pretty well.
- The Duke Chronicle covered the situation from the vantage point of Jon Scheyer, the North Shore product who says he still talks to Collins every other day. Good stuff.
- This thing Gary Parrish wrote for CBS would be the best I've read about the Collins hire.
If not for one thing.
Gary Parrish' insistence on writing every other paragraph being one-sentence long, if not a fragment.
It's a really trite writing tool.
That breaks up the flow of what you're trying to say, removing all the drama you think you're creating.
And I wish people wouldn't do it.
That said, it's bold!
Here are three predictions I'm comfortable making:
- Collins will finish in the top half of the Big Ten within three seasons.
- Collins will make the NCAA tournament within five seasons.
- Collins will someday be viewed as a candidate to replace Mike Krzyzewski at Duke.
I'm fine with the third, if the first two happen. Also, remember, five seasons might seem like a while, but it might be what Collins needs. Parrish goes on to write about how Northwestern's low standard of success could be beautiful for Collins, who needs just to get NU into one NCAA Tournament to be a great one.
- Inside NU on the coaching search, yuuuuuuuuuuuuup.
- Midway Madness calls Collins the perfect fit.
- Crain's Chicago Business wrote about things, from, well, a business perspective.
- Dan Bernstein of CBS warns us that perhaps this hire won't work out absolutely perfectly. Yes, the coaching tree and Doug Collins' wanderlust are good reasons to call this a RISKY MOVE for Northwestern. Good points, but intentional negative nancy-ism after a pretty idealistic situation is a little Skip Bayless-y. For what it's worth, we're well aware that as perfect as this hire seems, there's a lot that could go wrong, and that Collins is unproven.
- Another buzzkill - Adam Zagorla on Jaren Sina. The announcement was delayed quite a while... such that it ended up going EXACTLY against the last three minutes of a thrilling Bulls game where they ended the Heat's 27-game winning streak, so, like, perfectly when nobody in Chicago would hear about it:
— Mark Lazerus (@MarkLazerus) March 28, 2013
A warm welcome to the new Northwestern basketball coach @coach_collins, who with Bulls win will be on page 15 of sports tomorrow.
— darren rovell (@darrenrovell) March 28, 2013
Tweets of import
— Pat Fitzgerald (@coachfitz51) March 28, 2013
Welcome to the squad coach!!!
— Alexandru Olah (@Alexandru_Olah) March 28, 2013
Grew up a duke fan, always wanted to go to duke. Almost went to Stanford and played for former duke coaches.And now this :) life is crazy!
— Kale Abrahamson (@kaleabe13) March 28, 2013
Great hire of @coach_collins by Northwestern. Added bonus being with Coach K was Olympic Team experience. Will help with coaching/recruiting
— Fran Fraschilla (@franfraschilla) March 28, 2013
— Dick Vitale (@DickieV) March 28, 2013
@coach_collins congrats. Really proud of you. I knew you when. You ll do a fantastic job
— chuck swirsky (@swirsk054) March 28, 2013
Use your words, Chuck!
Now I officially congratulate @coach_collinson the new job at Northwestern University.
— Billy King (@bkdefend) March 28, 2013
— BAT 17 (@Bat17Evanston) March 28, 2013
(Yeah, I included Bat 17)
— Dan Dakich (@dandakich) March 28, 2013